To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Assailants killed 15 inhabitants of an indigenous village in southern Mexico that has been plagued by local disputes, authorities said on Monday, in one of the most brutal attacks to shake the countryside in recent years.State prosecutors in the state of Oaxaca said the bodies of 13 men and two women were identified as victims of the attacks over Sunday night and Monday morning in the municipality of San Mateo del Mar, east of the Pacific port of Salina Cruz.The San Mateo del Mar municipal government said in a statement that the attack was orchestrated by at least six armed people with the support of a suspected local crime boss. A state official said the photos were genuine.No arrests have yet been made, the official added.San Mateo del Mar lies on a coastal spit, and the area has suffered from territorial disputes and conflict over rights of way for many years, according to the state official.The area around the isthmus of Tehuantepec has also become known in recent years for land disputes over infrastructure projects. Topics : In a separate statement, Oaxaca state prosecutors said investigations are under way into what sparked the violence in Huazantlan del Rio, a local village of Ikoots indigenous origin. Officials are still investigating whether the attackers had guns.The two women killed had been protesting against abuses by one of the suspected attackers, who described himself as a representative of Huazantlan del Rio, the municipal government said.The conflict stemmed from road blocks organized in recent weeks by people claiming to represent Huazantlan del Rio authorities who wanted to stir up trouble for their own ends, the municipal government said, without giving more details.The attackers tortured and burned alive a number of their victims, the municipal government said. Photos of some of the victims’ partly burned corpses were published on social media. One of the dead men appeared to have been beaten with bricks.
Topics : After years of failing to live up to their billing in Europe, Paris Saint-Germain are within 90 minutes of the Champions League final thanks to their dramatic win over Atalanta on Wednesday, and coach Thomas Tuchel now knows “everything is possible” for his team.PSG were on the verge of another disappointing Champions League exit as they trailed Atalanta 1-0 into the 90th minute in Lisbon, where all the latter stages are being played after the long coronavirus shutdown.But Mario Pasalic’s 27th-minute strike for the Italians was finally cancelled out by Marquinhos, who scrambled in a last-gasp leveller. Choupo-Moting makes his mark PSG will be hopeful the France star can start the semi-final next Tuesday, but it is thanks to Choupo-Moting that they are there at all.”We’ve already won four titles this season but the most important is this one,” declared the Cameroon striker.It seems ironic that PSG — the world’s fifth-richest club according to this year’s Deloitte Football League — needed to rely on a free transfer from Stoke City to take them through to the Champions League semi-finals for the first time since the Qatari takeover in 2011.They had gone out in the last 16 the past three years, but Choupo-Moting’s goal saw them break through the glass ceiling on the same day PSG marked their 50th anniversary.From Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Ronaldinho, some fabulous players have turned out for the club in their relatively short history, although Choupo-Moting has not made much of a mark in his two seasons in Paris.He had not previously scored in the Champions League and would probably have been best remembered for missing an open goal while standing on the line in a game against Strasbourg.Indeed he would not even have been playing in this match in different circumstances.Choupo-Moting’s contract expired in June but he agreed to stay on for two months to play a part in the ‘Final Eight’ after Edinson Cavani — PSG’s all-time top scorer, who was also out of contract — walked away.And so the 31-year-old came on for the ineffective Mauro Icardi for the closing stages. He will at best have a bit-part role to play in the semi-final, though.Mbappe could be ready to start then and Angel Di Maria will return from suspension, although Marco Verratti will probably be out again injured.”There is a big difference between playing with or without Kylian,” Tuchel said.”That’s clear, and it’s the same with Marco and Angel. Now we have six days for Kylian to get back to his best.”I’m not sure about Marco, but we are in the last four, everything is possible.” After all, Atalanta’s entire wage bill is believed to be equivalent to what PSG pay Neymar per year (about 36 million euros, or $42.5m).Absent from decisive Champions League games in the last two seasons because of injuries, Neymar was excellent here, never giving up. He set up the equalizer and played a part in the winner.”Going home never crossed my mind,” said the world’s most expensive player.Mbappe was only fit enough to play the final half-hour, after a spell on the sidelines with an ankle injury, but his pace down the left flank had Atalanta on the back foot in the closing stages and he laid on the winner. Then, three minutes into injury time, Kylian Mbappe set up fellow substitute Eric Choupo-Moting to convert the clinching goal.”The goals came very late but we deserved the victory. We never stopped believing or attacking,” said Tuchel, whose team will face Atletico Madrid or RB Leipzig in the semi-final, the club’s first since 1995.”The boys who came off the bench had a big impact. We deserved it, we made our own luck.”The money ploughed into the French champions by their Qatari owners has increased the pressure on PSG to deliver and losing to Atalanta would have invited more criticism of a club whose recent record in such games has been poor.
Aaron Ramsey scored in the first leg against Napoli (Picture: Fantasista/Getty Images)Arsenal have given themselves a great chance to make the Europa League semi-finals but still have a lot of work to do in the second leg of the quarter-finals at Napoli on Thursday.The Gunners won the home leg 2-0 so are in the driving seat, but the Italians will fancy their chances in front of their home fans.Neither team are in the best of form at the moment, with Napoli only winning one of their last four contests, and while Arsenal have won five of their last six, they have not looked great doing so.Napoli hosted Liverpool earlier this season and won 1-0, so they know what it takes to beat English opponents.ADVERTISEMENT Napoli have a lot to do in the second leg (Picture: MB Media/Getty Images)When is Napoli vs Arsenal?AdvertisementAdvertisementThe match is on Thursday 18 April with kick-off at 8pm at the San Paolo.What TV channel is Napoli vs Arsenal and is there a live stream?BT Sport 2 will be showing the game live with coverage starting at 7.15pm.Subscribers can stream the action on BT Sport Player or watch on the BT Sport app.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityTeam newsUnai Emery could welcome back Lucas Torreira after suffering with a groin problem, while Sokratis Papastathopoulos will return from suspension.Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding and Danny Welbeck all remain out.Napoli will be missing Amadou Diawara and Raul Albiol.What are the odds? (Courtesy of Betfair)To Win7/10 Napoli16/5 Draw15/4 ArsenalTo Qualify31/10 Napoli2/9 ArsenalMORE: Son Heung-min’s classy response after being told he’s suspended for Ajax first legMORE: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer concerned by ‘sulking’ Marcus Rashford as Manchester United star stalls on new deal Napoli vs Arsenal TV channel, live stream, time, odds and team news Comment Advertisement Phil HaighThursday 18 Apr 2019 10:17 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Advertisement
Panamax rates have seen a significant surge in 2019, maritime research consultancy Drewry noted, pointing out that this could largely be attributed to the recent firmness in India’s coal imports.This situation is likely here to stay, according to Drewry’s lead dry bulk research analyst Rahul Sharan who added that the Indian government’s plan to invest heavily in infrastructure will underpin domestic coal demand.Other factors contributing to the stability of coal imports include an increasing demand for electricity in India.As pointed out, major consumers of non-coking coal in India are power plants and cement industry, while that for coking coal is the steel industry. The Indian finance minister, in her budget speech on July 5, 2019, proposed to invest USD 285 billion annually over the next five years on infrastructure – a surge of more than 150% compared with the past investment.According to Drewry, the government has allocated the highest-ever budgetary support of USD 12 billion to the highways sector. While such plans in India have failed to materialize because of a lack of funds in the past, the consultancy said the recent initiative was expected to be implemented as the government seeks to mobilise alternative financing resources.Indian infrastructure initiatives would result in a massive surge in demand for steel, cement and power, it was said. The spurt in demand for cement has already generated requirements for non-coking coal imports this year. India’s cement production has increased to more than 337 million tonnes in FY 2018-19, a rise of more than 13% from the previous financial year.However, domestic coal production has been increasing at a very slow pace, leaving power companies to depend on coal imports. For instance, domestic coal production increased 5% until May 2019, but imports surged 29%.Taking all this into account, Drewry pointed out that the inability of domestic coal producers to match domestic demand will keep imports high over the next few quarters.
Stuff co.nz 19 June 2018Family First Comment: “Parliaments around the world consistently reject bills like this one, because they recognise that the risks are simply too great. Even the most tightly restricted version of this bill would see people slip through the cracks—people who are misdiagnosed, who feel like a burden, who aren’t caught by the safeguards. Their deaths would be wrongful deaths—wrong according to the bill’s own criteria.”Protect.org.nzOPINION: Parliament has started hearing submissions on the End of Life Choice Bill, and if the last round of submissions is anything to go by, they’ll hear a lot of opposition.In response, MPs may be tempted to think they can fix the bill – narrowing the scope, tightening the wording, maybe limiting it to terminal illness and ditching the current provision for grievous and irremediable medical conditions. But in reality, even the safest version of this bill would be dangerous.This is a hard thing to say and to hear, when there are many stories of suffering and pain that each of us will hope we never have to go through. Both sides of the debate are motivated by compassion and concern for the vulnerable. No-one is coming at this with the intent to harm, but good intentions are not enough.Researching the international law and experience in places like Oregon, Washington State, Canada, Belgium, and the Netherlands, shows four main issues with even a restricted version of the bill.First, the eligibility criteria would be broad. Even if limited to people with a terminal illness likely to end their life within six months, doctors acknowledge that prognosis is more art than science. Oregon has a provision like this, but their official reports show that in 2017, somewhere between one and 14 people who were prescribed lethal drugs went on to live longer than their six-month prognosis.Second, other jurisdictions have failed to craft effective safeguards. For example, the bill states that a person must express a desire for euthanasia or assisted suicide free from pressure. However, pressure is very difficult to detect and requires a long-term relationship between doctor and patient. In Oregon last year, the median doctor-patient relationship before an assisted suicide prescription was just 10 weeks.READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104832498/end-of-life-choice-bill-contains-flaws-that-are-impossible-to-fixKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
GUWAHATI: Assam Baseball Association announced its team for the 27th Sub junior National Baseball championship which is scheduled to be held in Rajasthan.Team: Boys-Rahul Devbarman, Rajshekhar Bhandari, Abhigyan Roy, Abhijit Das, Kishor Roy, Dhanraj Boro, Dhanjit Basumatary, Koshpendra Basumatary, Promot Basumatary, Promot Basumatary, Eeinstein Basumatary, John Narzary, Surash Boro, Cyriak Narzary, Ashik Ali, Thulunga Basumotary and Yubraj Singh GarlosaGirls team: 1sanaa Basumatari, Florida Hayowary, Preeti Basumatary, Janmoni Roy, Sangina Daimary, Monomoty Narzary, Grisma Deka, Suhana Islary, Nilima Begum, Sara Goyary, Sreya Narzary, Chandana Basumatary, Meher Afrin and Sangina Narzary.
Stony Brook looks to sweep UMass Lowell ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com FABULOUS FRESHMEN: UMass Lowell’s Christian Lutete, Obadiah Noel and Connor Withers have combined to account for 62 percent of the team’s scoring this season and have scored 83 percent of all River Hawks points over the last five games.RAMPING IT UP A NOTCH: The Seawolves have scored 74.9 points per game against America East opponents thus far, an improvement from the 68.7 per game they managed against non-conference competition.LOVE FOR LUTETE: Lutete has connected on 39.8 percent of the 133 3-pointers he’s attempted and has made 13 of 34 over his last five games. He’s also converted 71.4 percent of his free throws this season.WINLESS WHEN: UMass Lowell is 0-7 when scoring fewer than 68 points and 9-7 when scoring at least 68.STREAK STATS: UMass Lowell has lost its last three road games, scoring 78.3 points, while allowing 99 per game.DETERMINED DEFENSE: The stout Stony Brook defense has held opposing offenses to a field goal percentage of 38.9 percent, the 28th-lowest mark in Division I. UMass Lowell has allowed opponents to shoot 45.8 percent through 23 games (ranking the River Hawks 305th). Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditUMass Lowell (9-14, 3-5) vs. Stony Brook (15-8, 6-2)Island Federal Credit Union Arena, Stony Brook, New York; Wednesday, 7 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Stony Brook goes for the season sweep over UMass Lowell after winning the previous matchup in Lowell. The teams last met on Jan. 29, when the Seawolves shot 40.3 percent from the field and went 22 for 26 from the free throw line en route to an 84-76 victory. February 4, 2020 Associated Press
NEW York -based Guyanese boxing promoter,Seon Bristol,has confirmed that his Briso Promotion company will be staging a boxing card in Guyana on December 26th.The card will be in conjunction with the Guyana Boxing Association (GBA)and is expected to see some of the top fighters in the region participating. “My intention is to make sure that there is a fight-card on Boxing Day. It used to happen but for some reason has not in the recent past. I am not going to point fingers but intend to rectify the situation,” Bristol declared from the USA yesterday.He disclosed that his company had attempted to host a similar event last Boxing Day but was persuaded against it after being informed that there was a professional card planned for the same day.The former amateur boxer recently collaborated with the GBA to stage this year’s first International ‘Nuff Cuff’ tournament.“I have spoken to the GBA president and have been given the green light. I have said before that I am willing to do whatever it takes to assist in moving boxing forward. The card will have an international flavour and brings down the curtain on Guyana’s boxing activity for 2017, Bristol said.Once held, the Boxing Day card should take the total international amateur competitions held in Guyana to four for 2017. The GBA is scheduled to follow up on the February 19th ‘Nuff Cuff’ with the Caribbean Schoolboys and Juniors tournament in early May.A total of 12 countries are expected to participate. That would be trailed by the first ever Inter-Guianas Boxing tournament in October. French Guiana, Suriname and the host country will partake.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports August 13, 2020 ___French golfer Alex Levy has been withdrawn from the Celtic Classic, which started on Thursday.Levy came into contact with a friend who has tested positive for the coronavirus, the European Tour said in a statement.The contact happened while Levy was at home in France last weekend. When he arrived at Celtic Manor Resort in Wales on Tuesday, he tested negative. He is showing no symptoms, the tour said, but he has been withdrawn from the tournament as a precaution and must self-isolate for 14 days.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Fans will be allowed into MotoGP races for the first time this season, at the Misano circuit in Italy next month. The Latest: Limited fans allowed for 2 MotoGPs in Italy The region of Emilia Romagna has given the circuit permission to open to a maximum of 10,000 fans a day for the doubleheader of the San Marino and Emilia Romagna MotoGP rounds.There will be strict measures in place to protect against the coronavirus, and fans will not be allowed to roam around. The circuit has a capacity of around 110,000 including more than 40,000 in the stands and welcomed approximately 160,000 people across the three-day weekend last year.Organizers say in a statement: “It is a decision that makes us emotional because it also represents a green light for the restart of world sport finally in front of the fans.”The first three MotoGP rounds were held without fans and no spectators will be allowed into the upcoming doubleheader in Austria. Associated Press